SlightlyÂ different toÂ regular bad breath or halitosis, â€˜keto breathâ€™ has it's own category of Bad Breath. This is where people who are on a keto diet, or another low-carb diet, experience bad breath that smells like rotten fruit or nail polish remover (acetone) or a cat litter box (ammonia). This can cause frustration, but once you understand why it happens and how to help it, you will have a healthy fresh breath in no time!
- The release of Ketones:Â Once your body reaches a state of Ketosis [this occurs when the liver uses the fat present in the body for energy source, producing â€œketonesâ€ in the process] ketones are released. One type of ketone called acetone produces a foul smell like rotten fruit. Whilst in Ketosis these acetones manifest in your breath and urine and causing the unpleasant smell.
- Excess Protein:Â Protein consumption usually increases on a keto diet, to replace the carbs that have been cut out of the diet. When the body metabolizes protein, ammonia is produced. This can smell very bad if produced in large amounts and it escapes through your breath when you exhale. One simple way to fix this rotten breath is to increase your intake of healthy fats and cut back on some of the protein.
Â But can this work for regular bad breath as well?
Yes let's look at regular bad breath.
Regular bad breath is caused by volatile sulphur compounds VSC's that are produced when bacteria break down the food in your mouth. These VSCs have an unpleasant smell. Studies show that the breakdown of proteins produces more VSCs than other food groups. This is why it is important to remove any food particles trapped between your teeth.
How to eliminate Bad Breath from Keto Breath and regular Bad Breath?
If you wish to continue with your keto diet without the side effect of keto breath we recommend following these steps:
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day to stimulate the healthy flow of saliva and keep your overall body health your urine will also be clearer thus diluting the acetones that have seeped into you stream.
- Maintain a healthy mouth with great oral care. Floss daily or simply swish water around your mouth after each meal to remove food particles trapped between teeth that could harvest VSCâ€™s producing bacteria (that cause bad breath).
- UseÂ Breathealer, the all-natural, probiotic way to get fresh breath. Not only does breathealer instantly freshen your breath with just one squirt, but it helps maintain a healthy mouth by only eliminating the â€˜badâ€™ bacteria while the good guys continue to do their thing!
The Breathealer is all natural with key ingredients likeÂ Coconut oil triglyceride, Quillaja, Peppermint oil, Spearmint oil, Menthol, Silica, Â Streptococcus salivarius, Hydroxyapatite, CoQ10, Vitamin A palmitate, Vitamin E, Ascorbyl palmitate, Monk fruit extract, Vitamin D3. It is so safe you can swallow it without having to worry about side effects and it freshens breath almost instantly making great for on the go or emergencyÂ situations.